Thursday 31 March 2016

Themeless in London

What a wonderful array of musicians we have lined up for this Saturday’s show!
Barb Jungr
I mean, Taj Mahal, Bonnie Raitt, Rosanne Cash, Nat King Cole, Greg Brown, B.B. King, and Barb Jungr …
Barb who? A British jazz singer on an Americana show? What the … ?
Well, I have a confession to make. 
A couple of weeks ago, The Big Fat Wide Americana Hour focused entirely on New Orleans. Then last week, the theme was great covers – remakes of songs that really added something new.
So I promised myself – I swore an oath! – that this week’s show would be themeless. That’s what The Big Fat Wide Americana Hour is all about: We’re not bound by genres or themes. 
We’re motivated only by a desire to hear great American music, whatever the style, right?
So, anyway, I was thinking of songs for this week’s very fine themeless show. And, because I usually include one or two jazz numbers, the Barb Jungr song popped into my head.
And stayed there.
Then, with a start, I asked myself what I could possibly be thinking. This show is about American music. And Barb Jungr is a Brit, for Pete’s sake.
But then it occurred to me that the song that was stuck in my head – Who Do You Love? – was a Bo Diddley song. And you don’t get much more American than Bo Diddley. So why the heck could I not include that song. 
Well, in fact I could.
B.B. King
So, then … the whole idea of Euro-American musical collaborations occurred to me. I thought ofU2 and B.B. King. I thought of Hans Theeskink and Terry Evans. 
And others … including a nice surprise I've included for your listening pleasure.
So, I sort of broke my oath. There is a theme for four or five songs in the middle. But we’re back ranging freely over themeless territory well before the show ends.
The whole darn show this week is a heck of a lot of fun. And if we do have a constant theme, that’s it. Let’s choose great tunes, crank up the volume, get our feet moving, and have a good time.
Your friend,
M.D. Spenser

No comments: